Specification Design for Schools – Elementary and High School
Fall is around the corner, which means it’s time for educational facilities to get renovations and redesign schools with upgrades to be ready to open up safely come September. With COVID-19, special concern and attention are being placed on sanitation and handwashing. Schools need to ensure their fixtures are easy to clean and sanitize. They must now also ensure there are sufficient sinks around the school to accommodate increased handwashing and the cleaning and maintenance of classrooms.
To help you further we have created a list of recommended products on our Master Education Specification Sheet – available for you to download. We hope this will help you save time on your specifications and as you redesign schools. This education guide focuses on the key products to specify for elementary schools, while the Highschool Education Master Spec sheet is your resource for high school projects.
Also, register and tune into our Morris Lee – Educational Application Products Webinar to learn more about the must-have products that help schools adjust to the new normal amid COVID-19.
Product Recommendations to Redesign Schools
American Standard’s EverClean® Surface Products
American Standard has a line of sinks and toilets that are coated with EverClean®, a permanent glaze coating that keeps itself cleaner longer. EverClean® product’s surface is easier to keep clean even after years of use. This makes it ideal for a school application, as hygiene is imperative.
The Madera Top Spud Elongated Toilet Bowl coated with EverClean® has these key features:
- Elongated floor mount flushometer valve toilet, less seat
- High efficiency, low consumption operates in the range of 1.1gpf to 1.6gpf (4.2Lpf to 6.0Lpf)
- EverClean® Surface inhibits the growth of stain and odor-causing bacteria, mold, and mildew on the surface
- 10″ or 12″ roughing-in
- 16-1/2″ rim height for accessible applications
- Condensation channel
- Powerful direct-fed siphon jet action
- Fully glazed 2-1/8″ trapway
Centoco 500 series Toilet Seat
With an additional focus on cleaning and disinfectant, an aspect many overlook is the corrosion that products and fixtures can face. The Centoco Toilet seat is designed with that in mind, the seat itself is non-corrosive as is the Stainless Steel check-hinge hardware. It is also antimicrobial and fire retardant.
Some key features of the Centoco Toilet Seat include:
- Toilet seat inhibits the growth of stains and odor-causing bacteria
- Molded, permanent, and sanitary colour-keyed bumpers that won’t fall off (extended back to conceal hinges)
- Withstands cleansers & includes corrosion-free hardware
Water Fountains and Sinks
Acorn Terrazzo Tri-Lav – 3 Stations Water fountain
This large multi-station water fountain is ideal for school situations. It is graffiti-resistant and easy to clean. Also, the design supports accessibility.
- Units conform with ANSI, UFAS, ADA, CBC and OBC requirements for accessibility
Franke Scullery Sink
In the post-COVID world, there is a need for more and more sinks. While areas like cafeterias & art classrooms were the norm, now sinks can be incorporated in all rooms to promote handwashing and sanitization as facilities are redesigned.
The Scullery Sinks from Franke are one of the best options for these applications.
- Double compartment scullery sink
- Stainless steel
- Sink compartment sloped to drain with radius coved corners on front and back only
- Rolled rim & stainless steel tubular legs with adjustable feet
- Includes waste fitting
- Certified to ASME A112.19.3-2008
Shower Applications for High Schools
The first thing to consider with showers in high school is whether individual or group showers make more sense for your project. Take a look at the advantages below:
- Individual Wall Showers
- Familiar to users and maintenance personnel and frequently used in smaller commercial shower room applications where ease of installation is a primary consideration
- Frequently used for shower room renovation projects.
- Separate supply connection required for each station
- Connected by concealed piping
- Layout flexibility through wet wall construction
- Greater privacy for students, which may be of importance
- Group Showers
- Work well in shower rooms as they provide a broad range of products for greater design flexibility and make the most efficient use of space
- Single water supplies for multiple users reduce construction and installation cost
- Easier accessibility to plumbing
- Serve more users in less time
- Provide more showers in less space
BLÜCHER Shower Chanel
BLÜCHER Shower Chanel is the perfect solution for group showers as it allows for easy drainage.
- BWC-100 AISI Type 304 stainless steel WaterLine Shower Channel
- Reversible cast
- Stainless steel collar with dual O-ring seals
- No hub epoxy coated cast iron (standard), PVC, or ABS body
High School Labs
Chicago Faucet two handle faucet, 2.8 LPM with Lab Spigot Connection is the ideal for laboratory settings.
- Laboratory angled full flow serrated nozzle
- Cast brass body
- Slow compression operating cartridge
- (8″) projection rigid/swing gooseneck spout with atmospheric vacuum breaker
- 64 mm (2-1/2″) metal vandal-proof cross handles with “CW” and “HW” index buttons
SMS Acid Neutralizers
No laboratory is complete without an eyewash station. We have paired a Guardian Wall Mounted, with a Watts FloorDrain and Lawler Emergency tempered water mixer to set this up.
There are lots more areas such as photography rooms, staffroom, and kindergarten areas that we have covered in our redesign schools, Master Spec Guide. We also have placed a great deal of attention on the various plumbing fixtures, couplings, drains, and more in the downloadable Master Spec.
As always if you have any questions – we are here to help and walk you through the products and applications.
ATS is here to help engineers, designers and those in the construction agency save time on their specification with our no-cost, no-catch specification tool, The ATS Spec tool. The tool helps cuts down the time it takes to specification, and we have a team of dedicated specification experts to assist you with your specifications at every step of the way. To learn more, get in touch!